What you'll do?
A 3-hour walking food tour in Shibuya to celebrate the New Year (shogatsu or oshogatsu), the most important holiday in Japan. You will encounter traditions, food, and symbols of this holiday before ringing in the new year.
- Take a 3-hour tour of Shibuya, visiting local food stops
- Learn about Hatsumode, visiting shrines and temples according to New Year’s tradition
- Try some symbolically “good luck” New Year’s dishes
- Enjoy a dinner featuring the classic Japanese winter dishes Shabu Shabu and Sukiyaki
- Toast to the New Year with free-flowing sake, wines, local beer, and other beverages
New Year (shogatsu or oshogatsu) is the most important holiday in Japan, and on this special evening you can explore the traditions, food and symbols of the season during this walking tour. You will be shown this famous area from a different view, enabling you to discover the best of Shogatsu’s culture and winter flavors.
Your evening will start off at the famous Hachiko crossing, from where you will head out to try your first “lucky” New Year’s dish, Soba (which according to Japanese culture provides you with a longer life). Next, you will discover a hidden shrine and learn about the customs of Hatsumode. You can then explore the symbolic dishes that make up Osechi (traditional Japanese New Year celebration foods).
Later on for dinner, your guide will take you to a favorite local spot for a table-side cooking experience. You can make your own hot-pot dishes, trying both Shabu Shabu and Sukiyaki, which are perfect as a cozy winter meal. After dinner, you can try some authentic Kobe beef, street-food style. Finally, finish up your evening with an amazing view of the Shibuya Scramble partnered with a traditional New Year’s dessert. You can experience and learn all about this important Japanese holiday season all in one evening.
Dinner and free-flowing drinks
Shogatsu (New Years) in Japan
Traditional snacks and dessert
Local English-speaking guide
What to bring
- Comfortable shoes
Know before you go
- The tour starts promptly at 4:00PM and ends at 7:00PM
- This tour has a 2 person minimum, and a 10 person maximum
- This tour is vegan, vegetarian, pescetarian and gluten-free friendly
- The operator reserves the right to expel any participant from the tour who is intoxicated, acting belligerently, endangering others or behaving in a way which may tarnish or act upon the operator’s reputation or cause distress
- The operator and its guides reserve the right to refuse or withdraw guests that are unfit to take the tour for any reason, or act in a dangerous manner
- You must be 21 years of age and present a valid photo ID in order to consume alcohol
- Children must be accompanied by an adult/parent
- A passport copy is required for children aged 10 and older