What you'll do?
Enjoy a walking food tour through the Nishiki Food Market, an area known to locals as the Kitchen of Kyoto.
- Sample and taste your way around the marking visiting 12 family owned shops some dating back hundreds of years
- Try the world’s smoothest sashimi tofu, macha, dashi tamagoyaki and fresh seafood
- Learn about the process of production from harvest, to sale at the market to preservation
- Explore the flavors that make Kyoto cuisine special
Your experience will include stops at family owned stalls and shops which have stood the test of time. At a few of the stops sample specialty products like tsukemono (vegetables from the surrounding mountains preserved in vinegar), yuuba (the world’s smoothest sashimi tofu made from the world famous Kyoto mountain water), Kamaboko (seafood preserved in fish paste), Tako (Octopus with quail egg) and Macha Warabi Mochi (a special traditional sweet covered in ground tea leaves).
During the tour learn detailed information about the ingredients of different Japanese dishes, how their food is prepared and what is used to eat it.
Your experience will do more than just give you a chance to taste Kyoto’s delicious food but will also give you a sense the history and atmosphere of the Nishiki Market experienced by the Japanese for generations. You will be consumed with physical and visual stimuli every step of the way and enjoy stories from the past told directly from shopkeepers and families you will spend time with.
After your market exploration walk to a nearby restaurant and have a course lunch featuring beautiful and delicious local dishes.
7 course lunch included
Visit 10-12 market vendors and taste the flavors of Kyoto
Know before you go
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking
- Please inform of any food allergies or dietary requirements
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- A copy of your passport information is required for all participants aged 10 and over